Thursday, May 05, 2005

Eating Out

Today I took the kids to lunch. No place fancy, just Friendly's. I had the need for some serious ice cream sundae action. Anyway, as we were going in, I was carrying the baby and trying to hold the door open for my other two little ones. A waitress was coming in from her break and you'd think that seeing a CUSTOMER, much less anyone struggling like that, she'd hold the door. Can you believe she actually squeezed in before I could lose hold of the door? I was really hoping we wouldn't be at one of her tables. Thankfully we weren't. This same woman was at a back table with some other staff, being loud and obnoxious. She yelled and then called one of them a little shit, prompting me to get "that look" from my 7yo. Now again, this wasn't any place fancy, but even at a hot dog stand, there is something called common courtesy and proper public behavior. Then again, maybe her lack of social grace is why she has to work at Friendly's.

On the flip side, although our waitress wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandalier, she was perfectly nice and courteous. At the table behind us, the man didn't say hello or anything. In a gruff tone of voice, as if she had done something wrong, he said "Gimme a diet coke with lemon!" Was that necessary? Her job sucks bad enough. Why make it worse? I bet he never even made eye contact with her. I left her a little extra beyond my already good tip. I like to tip well, because I can. I feel lucky and why shouldn't I make someone's day just a tiny bit brighter? I'm glad my kids are well-behaved in restaurants. Waiting tables must be a hard job.

No comments: