Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ranting

Here is a perfect example of how backwards-ass our society is and why raising a child properly is an uphill battle. This is the first paragraph of an AP article entitled "Breast Milk May Help Smallest Preemies".

CHICAGO - The tiniest premature infants fed with breast milk in the hospital did better on tests of mental development later in life than did others fed only formula, a new study has found.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

What it SHOULD say is "The tiniest premature infants fed on formula in the hospital did worse on tests of mental development later in life than did others fed normally, a new study has found."

The title should be "Formula May Harm Smallest Preemies"

Pardon me, but drinking mother's milk is the normal way for ANY baby mammal to eat. Formula is not the normal way to do it. Yes, it's a choice, but let's not let advertising dollars in the media AND in medicine fool us into not knowing that it's an inferior and unnatural choice. If someone wants to make that choice, that's fine with me. But then don't treat me like I'm a freak for doing it the way my babies and I were made to do it.

My kids are not developing beyond what they normally would have because of it. My milk doesn't raise their IQ's higher and make them healthier than formula fed babies. Formula fed babies have lower IQ's and more health problems. My kids are developing the way they normally would. I didn't give them something extra, I just didn't deprive them.

We have lost perspective. Whatever TV says, we believe. It's why our food, water, and air can be LOADED with crap and we don't do anything about it. It's why the wealthiest, most highly developed country in the world has such poorly educated children (and therefore adults) as well as the highest infant mortality rate of any developed nation. It's why two parties run the country and we are helplessly at the mercy of fossil fuels. Not enough people are willing to say "hey, this is wrong." or "Sorry, you suck, you can't have my money".

People. Are. Stupid. Because they want to be. It's easier not to think. It's easier not to do. Believe me, I know. I swim upstream with my children on my back. I hope I'm parting the waters a little for them.

1 comment:

Mike Todd said...

Rima, well said. People are totally...um, people are what you said they are. I can't remember what it was. I agreed at the time, though.

Thanks for turning the perspective back the right way -- Seriously, you make an excellent point.