Sunday, February 26, 2006

This Rocks

I mentioned a while back that my dad died in November. He was not a traditonal kinda guy and I'm not very traditional either, so there was no funeral. Instead, he was cremated and is now holding up my DVD's. We are planning a memorial service in June because of his birthday and fathers' day. Thing is, being not very traditional, I'm not sure what to do, although we're probably going to plant a tree in my yard and put his ashes in the hole. He kept wanting to plant a tree here. Anyway, although I missed this episode, I was lucky enough to find the video online- Craig Furgeson's father died in January (you'd think I could keep up with all my harem boys' goings on, but there are so many of them) and he used his show to have a wake for his dad. (I bet the crew got smashed that night) The Wicked Tinkers came on. If you've never heard or seen them perform, go to www.wickedtinkers.com. They banged the drums for Craig's dad. http://www.wickedtinkers.com/Video/TLLS.set.2.mov My dad would love this. The neighbors probably would not. Still pondering...

2 comments:

Christina Wible said...

Don't hurry it. You'll find the thing that will be just right for your father one of these days. I carted around my husband's ashes for (I think) about 8 years before I found just the right spot. Good company for him and a quiet spot that will be there forever. By the way. If you are thinking of putting his ashes in the lawn remember...someday you will move. nuf said.

Rima said...

Unless we hit the lottery, we're not moving. In any case, that wouldn't matter to me. His ashes would be long gone. I have other ways to keep him with me. My dad kept my grandmother's ashes in the trunk of his car for two years. Then she was on his bookshelf for another ten or so. My aunt is bringing them up to plant as well. Just call him Mr. Procrastination.