Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Harry Potter #6

This contains spoilers so if you read it, don't whine to me that I ruined your life. Here's your warning. The rest is your choice.







I really liked this book. Of course, I expected to. I really liked all of them. I didn't, however, feel about it the way others told me I would. I didn't feel upset, betrayed, etc. I don't think they realized half of what they read. I'm seeing things very differently than they are. I don't think Dumbledore's death is what they saw it as. I think they're in for some real surprises in the next book.

I'm glad for a few things- that Lupin found love; that Hermione and Ron weren't thrown into a romantic relationship, though their feelings are clearly there; and I'm especially glad that Fleur was redeemed at the end. It disturbs me when an exceptionally beautiful woman is portrayed as shallow and selfish. Clearly there was more to her than that, given her competition in the Triwizard Cup. I think that stereotype is divisive, not to mention offensive and untrue. Women are what they are, beautiful or not. I'm glad she put her future MIL in her place, although I love Molly to pieces. Molly reminds me of myself. I'm also glad Molly was able to accept her and make a loving gesture when she saw the truth.

Now if I could only get my hands on some Puking Pastilles...

2 comments:

Christina Wible said...

I also like the way she is keeping us in suspense about Snape. It teaches that it isn't always apparent who is "good" and who is "bad" and that we have to look deeper and know as much as we can. I look forward to book 7 and hope she reveals the real story behind Snape.

Rima said...

I agree. So many people are sure now that Snape is evil. I'm not.