Monday, July 09, 2007

My "Huh?" Moment of the Day

I'm making Stitch Diva's Sahara Sweater in the short-sleeved version, out of bamboo yarn, which just looks like perfectly normal yarn. Today my mother came over and saw it in my basket and asked if it was the bamboo sweater I was working on. I said yes and she looked at it and said "It doesn't look like bamboo. It looks more like grass." I utterly and completely do not understand what that meant, given that she was just looking at yarn with no botanical characteristics at all. If it goes well and comes out nice, I plan on making the long-sleeved version. I'll be making that one out of soy. I wonder what comment that one will evoke. My curiosity eagerly awaits that one.

2 comments:

Christina Wible said...

Does the bamboo have enough elasticity to it. I've only looked at a few skeins in passing and it seemed cotton-like. Grass-like? Nooooo.

Rima said...

It's way better than cotton. It's not terribly elastic, but it's very lightweight, so it doesn't make those saggy stitches that we all hate cotton for. I'm using SWTC's, which is knitted (or "woven" as they like to call it for some reason). I saw another one that I think is by Cascade mabye? Can't remember, but it was very silky and it was plied, which might give it more stretch. The one I'm using isn't terribly soft, but it knits up nicely and was a match to the edging yarn. I hate trying to match colors. Absolutely hate it!